Sunday, June 5, 2011

Am I called by Him?

Being born from a country of predominantly Catholics and in a devout Christian family, I was exposed to the teachings and tradition of the Catholicism. I was enrolled in a Catholic School when I was 3 years old until I earned a degree in Nursing. I was taught by my teachers’ salient points of the Catholic belief. My school educated me the fundamentals of Christianity and knowledge for life as well.

My grandmother was one of the greatest contributors in my knowledge about my faith. She tells me bible stories before I sleep and at the end teach me the morals of each story. Those where the things that I will never forget in my life, as a disciple of Christ. While my mother was the one who exposed me with the different Church traditions; attending the holy mass, participating in processions, adoration of the Blessed Sacrament, saint veneration and etc.

Our life’s experience is God’s way of talking to us. Trials and obstacles are given to us to test our faith and loyalty to Him. I have experienced a lot in my existence as a person. I have faced a lot of challenges in my family, peers, and community. But with this, I have encountered Him in unanswered prayers, in times of despair and moments of solitude. I can feel His presence with people around me. One day, I awakened and felt a calling.

“Restless is my heart, ‘till it rest in thee”. These are the exact words that could define my experience. I am restless to seek for love, happiness and contentment. I tried to look for it but I never had inner peace. Happiness was just a temporary feeling. I never found contentment even I chose to have it. I never found that inner peace in my friends, loved ones and even with my family.
But when I started to discern about entering the religious life, it became so light.

I have met and knew a lot of clergy. Each of them has touched my life in one way or another. I see a priest/ nun as divine individuals sent by God to nurture and guide His people towards eternal happiness with Him. On the other hand, they act as a social conscience in this world threatened by evil. Priest’s presence makes me secured and feels that God truly is with us.

Am I really called by God to serve Him and His people?

No comments:

Post a Comment